The key to a stress-free move is to plan everything in advance so that you’re organized and totally prepared for moving day. By following the schedule outlined below you should be able to cover all of your bases:
One Month Prior to Moving Day
– Contact Get Your Move On, LLC to schedule them for moving day and the day before if you want them to come out and pack you up.
– Check to see whether this move might be covered under your homeowner’s insurance.
– Arrange to have your children’s school records transferred.
– Call your family doctors and dentists for them to recommend others located in the area where you’re moving.
– Obtain copies of refillable prescriptions.
– Go room by room through your house sorting out which items to take with you, which items to sell at a garage sale, what should be donated and what you’ll just toss out.
– Contact your insurance agent to make sure your new home will be adequately covered with personal property insurance for fire, theft and any other appropriate coverage. Have your health, auto and any other policies transferred to the new address.
– Get the necessary change of address forms for your driver’s license.
Three Weeks Prior to Moving
– Check to make sure all tax assessments are cleared.
– Slow down on grocery shopping because you’ll need to clear out the cupboards and refrigerator before the move. Eat what you already have on hand.
– Certain items cannot be organized and loaded onto the moving truck, which include: aerosol cans, ammunition, corrosives and anything flammable like propane tanks. Use them up or plan on giving them to a friend or neighbor before the move.
– Have someone come out to service all major appliances before moving day.